A self catering holiday cottage for two plus two dogs.
Terms & Conditions
In these terms and conditions “You” or “Your” means the person named in the confirmation invoice. “We” or “Us” mean Mr or Mrs Asbridge, owners and proprietors of Penny Black Cottage, Post Office Row, Ingleton, Carnforth, LA6 3NG.
Please take your time to read these terms and conditions carefully before making your booking. By booking this cottage you are agreeing to our terms & conditions. The making of a booking and the acceptance of the booking by us will form an agreement of these terms and conditions and the cancellation policy between the visitors (You) and Mr and Mrs Asbridge (Us) for the holiday rental of the accommodation. We permit you to occupy the accommodation for the holiday period shown in the confirmation invoice together with the use of its contents.
We reserve the right to refuse a booking. Please respect the neighbours and their privacy. We are a rural property, please take a look at the “Countryside Code Of Conduct” and familiarise yourself with it prior to your stay. www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code/the-countryside-code
1. Bookings: Bookings and offers of bookings are all subject to availability and governed by UK law. You, as the party leader, will be responsible for all members of your party. You, as the person in charge of your party, must be at least 21 years of age at the time of booking. A contract shall only arise when cleared payment and full contact details have been have been received and email confirmation or letter has been sent to the email address provided by the party leader. Only the guests named on the booking and pets named on the booking are permitted to stay. We reserve the right to refuse any booking, for whatever reason prior to issuing you with written confirmation and thereafter if conditions of your booking change. Check all booking details carefully and inform us of any incorrect information immediately. The contract will be subject to these conditions and must be complied with.
2. Payment: For bookings made more than eight weeks before the holiday is due to start, the holiday must either be paid in full or alternatively a (non returnable) deposit of 25% of the rent must be paid (this may differ if booked via an agent and a booking fee to the agent may be due). Once a booking is received and accepted by the owner, the holidaymakers are liable to pay the full balance and any additional charges, on or before 6 weeks before the start of the each holiday. We are not responsible for sending reminders for payment. For bookings made less than eight weeks before the start of a holiday, full payment plus all additional costs must be received at the time of booking. Payment is accepted by bank transfer, sterling cash or Paypal in advance of your stay or cleared sterling cheque (by prior agreement only). If you are paying from a foreign account a minimum charge of £25 will be made to cover the bank changes, any other charges incurred in handling payments from overseas will be passed on to you. Post-dated cheques are not accepted and any charges raised against us by your bank for handling dishonoured cheques, bank transfers or any other payments will be passed on to you and you will be liable to reimburse us in respect of such charges within 7 days. If you do not make any payment by the date it is due we will assume that you wish to cancel your booking. If this happens, your booking will immediately be cancelled and the charges set out in our cancellation policy will apply. Security Deposit: Guests are accepted on trust, therefore unlike other holiday lets, we do not ask for a security deposit. Please respect our trust.
3. If you wish to cancel or change a booking: We are unable to allow the personal circumstances of our guests effect our business and do not offer refunds or changes of dates if you find you are unable to take the holiday you have booked, therefore we highly recommend that you take out adequate HOLIDAY INSURANCE It is your responsibility to check that your insurance cover is adequate and covers, amongst other things, the cost of cancellation by you, personal losses, all medical costs and the costs of assistance including return to your home in the event of an accident or illness. If you wish to cancel a confirmed booking you must let us know by email or in writing as soon as possible. Your booking will be cancelled with effect from the day we receive and acknowledge your email or written notification. If required we can provide you with any written evidence required to enable you to make a claim against your holiday insurance. You are not permitted to re-sell or transfer your holiday and only the people named on the booking can stay at the property. If you do not stay at the Property during the Holiday Period but your Guests named on the booking do, you will still be legally responsible for all your obligations under the Rental Contract and these Booking Conditions and your Guests' compliance with them. All cancellations must be given in writing and by the party leader. Cancellation Policy: If you cancel your booking you are liable for the following: More than 8 weeks = 50% Less than 8 weeks = 100%
4. If we need to cancel or change your booking: We do not expect to have to make changes to your booking, however sometimes problems happen and bookings have to be changed or cancelled. We will only change or cancel your booking if necessary to perform or complete essential remedial or refurbishment works or for other reasons unforeseen at the time you made your booking which are beyond our reasonable control. In this case, we will refund you the total amount you have paid us for the booking, but the holiday maker shall have no further claim against the owner. The owners do not warrant that all equipment including the electric, wifi, water and heating system will operate throughout the tenancy. Should the heating system, wifi, water, or electricity system unexpectedly fail, the owner will take all reasonable steps to rectify the fault and will not be liable for any downtime suffered by the hirer. The owner or trades person must be permitted access to the property to rectify the fault. The owner takes no liability for happenings outside their control and no liability will fall on the owner for the effects of unusual or extreme weather, power cuts, water shortages, flooding, farming disasters, epidemic or pandemic as declared by the Department of Health, DEFRA or WHO.
5. Arrival & Departure: In order to prepare the cottage between hirers, we ask that you arrive after 3pm and leave by 10am on your departure date. Failure to adhere to these times will result in you being charged for a further days rental. The agreement to stay in the property for the holiday period does not create the relationship of landlord and tenant between the parties. You shall not be entitled to a new tenancy, or to any assured short hold or assured tenancy or any statutory protection under the Housing Act 1988 or other statutory security of tenure now or at the end of the Holiday Period.
6. Your obligations: Once your deposit is paid you have entered into a contract with Penny Black Cottage and you are bound by our T&C’s. You agree to the following:
To complete and adhere to the information given on your booking form.
To pay your balance on time. If your balance is not paid on time you are in breach of contract and will be treated as a cancellation. Please ensure you have read our cancellation policy.
To advise us immediately of any breakages, losses, or damage caused by you to the property or its facilities.
To take all reasonable care of the property and its facilities and leave it in a clean and tidy conditions at the end of your holiday. You will be responsible for any additional cleaning costs (if incurred).
To inspect the property on arrival and inform us of any problems with the facilities within 12 hours of your arrival.
To permit us reasonable access to the property to carry out urgent maintenance.
Not to sublet or share the property except with the persons included on the booking form or subsequently included by agreement. The maximum number of persons allowed at the property must not be exceeded. We reserve the right to terminate hire without notice and without refund where this condition is breached.
Not to do or omit to do something which may be or become a nuisance to neighbouring properties.
7. Maximum Occupancy for your accommodation: You must ensure that the maximum number of persons occupying the accommodation does not exceed the maximum occupancy limit of 2 adults. We welcome up to 2 well behaved dogs, depending on size and breed (subject to acceptance by us at the time of booking, additional charges will apply). We set maximum occupancy limits in line with the facilities and equipment available at Penny Black Cottage. Exceeding the maximum occupancy limits can overload the facilities and lead to extensive damage. As such, we reserve the right to require you to leave the premises (without compensation) if you exceed the maximum occupancy limit. Visitors are not permitted without prior consent by us and at our discretion. Visitors can overload the facilities and lead to extensive damage. They are not covered by our insurance and may invalidate it. As such, we reserve the right to require you to leave the premises (without compensation) if you exceed the maximum occupancy limit. Any visitors agreed by us prior to your stay are not permitted to stay overnight and are your responsibility.
8. Your Neighbours: Guests are asked to please respect the privacy of the neighbours. In the unlikely event of a dispute between neighbours and guests, the owners cannot be held responsible and politely request guests to resolve matters themselves.
9. Mobile Phones and Internet access: Penny Black cottage has a Smart TV. Mobile phone coverage is unpredictable at the property, due to the rural location. Vodafone has good coverage, but is not guaranteed. We do have Wi-Fi access but this is not guaranteed. We take no responsibility for down-time, speed, or availability. We do not accept liability for Wi-Fi availability or mobile signal and will not compensate for non availability. Excessive and inappropriate usage is not permitted. Broadband speed can be variable in this rural location. Guests are welcome to use the Wi-Fi provided, but as the owners, we will not accept any responsibility for inappropriate content downloaded during your stay. If such actions result in the attention of an investigating authority, contact details of the guests and the dates of their stay will be disclosed by us, as the owners to the authority concerned without further recourse.
10. Our right of access: We or our contractors may need to access your accommodation if there is an unforeseen problem, to investigate a complaint you have made, or to perform certain routine property checks. If this happens, we will do our best to let you know in advance of the time that we will need access. If your stay with us is more than 1 week, we and/or our cleaner will need to access the accommodation in order to perform a basic service clean and to change the linen. If we do need to access the accommodation during your stay for any reason we will always try to access at reasonably convenient times (other than in the event of an emergency).
11. Loss or Damage: We, our employees and representatives shall not be liable to you or your party for loss or damage to your property howsoever arising. You must take all necessary steps to protect and safeguard your personal property. The Owners cannot accept responsibility for personal Injury, theft or damage to cars, bikes etc. Driving to/from the property and parking is at the hirers risk.
12. Cleanliness: We endeavour to maintain high standards of comfort and cleanliness at all times and have a limited time to clean the accommodation in preparation for the next guests. Therefore you must keep all furniture, fittings and effects in the same good condition as they were found. This includes leaving the oven/fridge/dishes/cutlery clean. In particular, if your dogs are prone to moulting please make every effort to clear this before vacating the property. A broom, dustpan/brush, vacuum cleaner, mop/bucket can be found in the airing cupboard in the bathroom. If the accommodation is found in a poor state we reserve the right to charge extra for any additional emergency cleaning required and refuse future bookings.
13. Accidents & Breakages: If you discover anything is missing or damaged on arrival at your accommodation you must notify us immediately via email or via 07775251633. If you do not notify us we will assume that you caused the relevant loss/damage. If we are not informed of something not working and given the opportunity to resolve it we cannot be held responsible at a later time. You will be responsible for the cost of any accidental or non accidental damage you or your party cause to the property or its contents and you will be liable for the costs. We will contact you directly regarding any damages found. This also applies to damage caused by pets. Damages may also be sought for excess cleaning. We request that you must keep the accommodation and its contents clean and tidy and leave them in the same condition as when you arrived. If we have to carry out excess cleaning, over and above a standard changeover you may be charged. The holiday accommodation price will include all reasonable usage charges for water and electricity. Visitors must comply with the instructions found in the information folders in the cottage. Any damage caused by using the services inappropriately will be charged to the holidaymaker.
Rubbish: Please use the two black lidded bins provided in the garden. One for general household waste, the other for glass, tin, recyclable plastic and cardboard.
Sanitary: The accommodation is on a private water treatment system – please only put toilet paper down the toilet and don’t use excessive amounts of toilet cleaner as it can stop the treatment system working. You will be liable for any blockage or damage caused by foreign objects put down the toilet.
Linen: We have white bed linen and towels, please be aware that if we cannot remove excess staining from the likes of fake tan, hair dye, make up, blood etc. you will be liable. If you are aware that damage is likely to occur due to a known medical condition, you are expected to take all reasonable precautions as you would do in your own home. If in doubt, please bring your own bed linen and/or towels.
14. Keys: The keys to the property will be your responsibility during your stay and any costs incurred through loss, damage, loss of access to the property as a result of lost keys or key not being returned will be charged to you in full. Ensure you lock to door each time you leave the property unoccupied.
15. Fireworks And Naked Flames: Fireworks are not permitted due to pets and the surrounding livestock. Naked flames are not permitted (with the exception of lighting the wood burner) due to the combustible materials in the cottages.
16. Country Life: Guests who may be unaccustomed to country life may be surprised to find the occasional uninvited wildlife visitor. The Owners endeavour to make sure these are kept away but we can’t always guarantee they won’t turn up even though the property will have been thoroughly cleaned.
17. Smoking: Smoking and vaping is not permitted inside the property. If you smoke outside please do not leave cigarette butts on the ground.
Drugs and firearms (including BB Guns and Air Weapons) are not permitted anywhere on the premises and guests will be asked to leave with immediate effect and without recompense if evidence of drug taking or firearms possession is found on site.
18. Events beyond our control (Force Majeure): We will not be responsible for any failure to perform our obligations under these terms and conditions that is caused by an event outside our control eg. act or event that is beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster, strikes or industrial action by third parties, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war or threat of war, civil commotion, riot, invasion, or failure of public or private telecommunications networks. If we have to cancel due to Force Majeure prior to your stay you will be refunded the full amount of the booking. If we have to terminate your holiday early for any of the reasons outlined in section 18, you will be refunded part of the booking fee based on the time remaining of the booking. No additional compensation, expenses or costs will be payable to you.
19. General: Whilst every effort is made to provide the amenities advertised no liability will fall on the owners should restrictions be applied in the event of circumstances outside of their control.
20. If you have a problem or complaint: We take care to ensure that our accommodation is of a high standard for the price paid. However, if you have any problems with your accommodations please contact us immediately and give us the opportunity to resolve it. If issues are not reported at the time and we are not given the opportunity to resolve them we cannot be held responsible at a later time. Please note we will not tolerate any verbal or physical abuse towards us or any false reviews and inaccurate social media posts.
21. Our right to evict: We may terminate our contact with you and ask you to leave the accommodation immediately (without any compensation being payable) if: We consider that you or your party have committed a serious breach of these terms and conditions. We consider that you or your party’s behaviour endangers the safety of themselves, other guests, us or neighbours. Any complaints are made of anti-social or unacceptable behaviour against you or any of your party (including pets). You or your party cause an unreasonable amount of damage to the accommodation or its contents; or you exceed the maximum occupancy limit for your accommodation (including pets).
22. Advertising and Data Protection: We make every effort to ensure that the information provided is presented accurately, however details and prices may be subject to change and errors do occasionally occur, so you must check all details and arrangements with us at the time of booking. Sometimes changes to the services do occur after a booking has been made and in this instance we will let you know about significant or material changes as soon as possible. Prices may differ if booking directly or via agents, please note that agents will add their own fees. We may communicate with you from time to time via email. If you would prefer that we did not contact you please let us know. We will not pass on your details to third parties.
23. Access and Parking: Access is via Smithy Lane, an unclassified but tarmacadam road maintained by the local authority. All types of vehicles have used the lane. The owners of Penny Black Cottage do not own the lane and accept no liability for any damage caused to you or your vehicle or personal possessions. There is ample private parking on the gravelled area adjacent to Smithy Lane, please park tidily and responsibly taking other people into consideration. Please note there are some areas that are not suitable for cars and cars may only be parked on the gravelled area. Do not drive across the grass. The owners’ accept no liability for damage caused to your vehicles or any items left in your vehicles at Penny Black Cottage.
24. Personal Safety: Penny Black Cottage has an uneven cobbled footpath leading to the entrance door. It is the responsibility of the holiday maker to keep all guests in their party safe. Penny Black cottage's location is rural and it can be very dark please bring a torch with you, but there is an emergency torch in the cottage. The grounds are uneven and unlit. The owners accept no liability for any accidents; please ensure that you and your party take care.
25. Visitors: No visitors without prior consent. If we do grant prior consent for additional guests to visit during your stay your visiting guest is wholly your responsibility and is not covered by our public liability insurance. You will be held responsible for any damage caused by your visiting guests. Please see maximum occupancy.
Practical information for your stay:
Your check-in and departure times will be set out in your confirmation invoice. Normal check in is from 4pm on the first day of your stay and departure is required by 10am on the last day of your stay. If you do not leave the accommodation by the required time we reserve the right to charge you a late check-out fee of £50 to cover costs that we incur.
You will be provided with directions and key details prior to your stay. Please ensure that you bring the directions and key details with you as we cannot guarantee that we will be available to greet you.
If you do not arrive at your holiday destination by 12.00 midday of the day following your intended arrival, and the owners haven’t heard from you, your holiday will be treated as cancelled.
If you leave any of your possessions behind at the cottage, please contact us as soon as possible. We will do our best to get you reacquainted with your possessions, but we do not guarantee this. You will be liable for any costs incurred for postage etc. We always obtain proof of postage when returning items) For large or heavy items, we will hold such property for 2 weeks whilst your organise collection/courier. Any unclaimed items will be disposed of after 2 weeks.
Penny Black Cottage is a rural property and surrounded by farm land. Please ensure you have read and understood the ‘Countryside Code of Conduct’ available online. Many people have the perception that rural means quiet and although it is quiet most of the time we do not claim that our property is 'quiet'. We do have neighbours and local businesses near the cottage. You will at times hear tractors, farm machinery, neighbours going about their lives, traffic noise from the A65 which runs parallel to the cottage and the sounds of local wildlife. Please respect our neighbours and local farming community as they go about their business.
We do not live on site but can be contacted if necessary.
Wifi is available in the cottage, but not guaranteed.
Mobile signal is variable and cannot be guaranteed.
Pets will NOT be left unattended at Penny Black cottage (including the garden) at any time.
Pet numbers must not exceed the number agreed at the time of booking.
All pets must be leashed or under close control at all times within the grounds.
Guest is responsible for cleaning up any/all pet refuse.
Pets are not allowed in the bedroom or on furniture at any time. Any evidence of pets on furniture may incur extra cleaning fees.
Guests must not allow their pet to damage the premises. If damages are caused, you are liable for the full costs.
Guests should prevent pets from producing excessive noise at a level that disturbs neighbours.
Guests to ensure that they provide their own dog bedding, towels, food bowls, water bowls and food utensils. The Guest agrees not to use Penny Black's cutlery, crockery, towels and linen for their pets.
Guests agree to respect the neighbours, wildlife and farm animals in the local area and to ensure that their pet does not cause harm or stress to them.
The owner assumes no responsibility for illness or injury that may incur to pets or humans while on the premises.
Pets must be fully house trained.
No pets under the age of 1 year unless agreed prior to your stay.
Pets must be free of fleas, worms and ticks and treatment up to date.
Departure Policy: Check out is by 10am.
Please leave the cottage as you would expect to find it. You will find a broom, dustpan/brush, vacuum cleaner, mop/bucket and other cleaning items are in the airing cupboard in the bathroom
Rubbish – Please take all rubbish out of the holiday cottage and put in the bins in Penny's garden. Choose one bin for normal rubbish and the other for plastic/tin/glass and cardboard.
Washing up – Please ensure all washing up is done and returned to the correct places, including grill pans and oven trays.
Electrical Items – Please turn off all TV’s, lights etc.
Heating – Please turn the heating off when the cottage is unoccupied.
Cottage Items – Please ensure you have returned all items to their correct places and that all maps, torches, etc. have been returned.
Review – Please leave a review in the book guest book in the cottage and also feel free to review us on our website. Please report any issues or breakages to us directly or leave us a note in the book.
Lock up – Please ensure that you shut and lock the door and windows and put the key through the letter box in the door. Please do not leave the cottage unlocked on departure.